From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seeking advice about backup and partitioning; preparing to dual-boot Linux onto Vista drive
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:08:49
1 On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:39:17 -0800
2 "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Dude, I'm getting a Dell!
5 >
6 > It's gonna come with Vista, and I have to use it that way for work.
7 > But I want to
8 > put a Linux partition on there. So I need to repartition.
9 >
10 > Having learned to be cautious, I'm wondering if there is a good
11 > open-source way to back up about 300GB of NTFS such that I can
12 > restore fairly smoothly. It has to be fairly fast, so file-by-file
13 > copies are probably going to suck. I'll have 100MB
14 > ethernet to a big-enough drive.
15 >
16 > Then, I'm wondering about partitioning tools. I can use
17 > PartitionMagic 7.0. I've heard
18 > of gparted, but not used it. Any advice?
19
20 Um, I thought Vista could resize it's own partitions...
21
22 Also, if it's a new machine, use the re-install disk for your back up ;)
23
24 RobbieAB