From: "Andrés Becerra Sandoval" <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 multiple kernels
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 20:39:37
1 On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Grub2 on gentoo, seems a bit confusing. I guess
4 > I've just read too much that is system dependant ( version of grub2?)
5 > (and to think the purpose of Grub2 was/is standarization?)
8 > So I simple want to be able to add multiple linux kernels
9 > to boot from. Many are experimental hacks, so I keep
10 > quite a few around..... eventually, there will be
11 > a windows7 boot need on lappys and tablets too.
12 >
13 > Some reading suggests to simply build the kernels, and
14 > put them in /boot/.... with acceptable namees like:
15 > "kernel-3.10.25-gentoo" and they will automactically
16 > appear in the boot menu? No limit to the number of
17 > images?
18 >
19 > Some pages suggest manually editing the grub.cfg file,
20 > but I've also read that this is overwritten by the scipts
21 > and info found in /etc/grub.d. I running Grub 2.00_p5107-r2.
22 >
23 > I like to keep multiple version of kernels, complete sources
24 > etc and keep several if not many of the bootable kernels
25 > in /boot/.
26 >
27 > Ideas and suggstions on how a grub(legacy) guy should approach
28 > this need, with grub2 are most welcome. Just so you know, I
29 > envision in the next 12 months to have many different arm(64)
30 > systems using grub2 also (linaro has grub2 working on arm and
31 > arm64); so a clean, well thought out strategy of similar
32 > approaches to grub2 on many differnt arch's is what I'm really
33 > after....
34 >
35 > Also while we discussing grub 2, it boots blind (no feedback)
36 > and takes too long to boot (estimated 5 minutes) : really slow
37 > so what do I change there? No systemd on my systems.....
40 > TIA,
41 > James
46 ​Hi James,
47
48 If you put the kernels in /boot with proper names and launch:
49
50 ​ grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
51
52 Grub will set up the kernels for you.
53
54 If you want (not likely) to create a manual entry, put it in
55 /etc/grub.d/40_custom
59 Andrés Becerra Sandoval