From: "caveman رجل الكهف 穴居人" <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] \ \ \ 2021 / / /
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 19:10:37
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Friday, December 25, 2020 4:32 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 15:07:59 +0000, caveman رجل الكهف wrote:
5 >
6 > > hi. i just want to help a bit by sharing a
7 > > thought that i think is useful to the civilisation
8 > > of life forms in general:
9 > >
10 > > - new year celebrations are wasteful in
11 > > several ways (e.g. waste on needless
12 > > purchases [aka gifts], useless fireworks,
13 > > useless trees with socks on them, etc).
14 > >
15 > > - the vacation is nice to allow potential good
16 > > use of it. but even this is usually abused
17 > > by most people as they end up just wasting
18 > > it alongside their money for purely doing
19 > > silly things such as purposeless tourism.
22 > Dear Ebenezer,
23 >
24 > Some of us would welcome the opportunity to waste time with their
25 > families over Christmas and the New Year, instead of having to spend it
26 > isolating at home following a positive COVID-19 test.
27 >
28 > Don't underestimate the therapeutic value of doing nothing with the people
29 > that are important to you.
30
31 i'm not against that. in fact, this goes in the
32 list of the productive things. remember, i said
33 "not limited to"? i literally stated that my list
34 of productive things is not exhaustive.
35
36 spending time with family is productive, since
37 it's an opportunity to inspect the situation of
38 family members to help them become even better
39 people. this happens implicitly even though
40 dad/mom doesn't say "hey kids time for annual
41 performance inspection!".
42
43 it's part of us which we inherited from evolution
44 that actually helps maximise our survival. there
45 is a reason why we've evolved to like it.
46
47 but, worthy to note, not everything we like is
48 good. e.g. there are bugs in evolution. e.g.
49 some people enjoy drugs up to a point they become
50 addicts. this is not inline with survival
51 maximisation, so we can say this is a
52 vulnerability in evolution that drug dealers try
53 to exploit.
54
55 rgrds,
56 ebonzer.