From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev update changed cd/dvd device name
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:56:19
1 On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Bruce Hill
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 07:59:34AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> Anyone else run into this problem with udev-171-r9? I updated
5 >> yesterday and my CD/DVD, which has been /dev/cdrom1 since I built the
6 >> machine 2 1/2 years ago, is now called /dev/scd0.
7 >>
8 >> Machine is x86_64, mostly stable.
9 >>
10 >> - Mark
11
12 <SNIP>
15 > You need to add udev-mount to the sysinit runlevel.
16 > If you do not do this,
17 > your system will not be able to boot!
18 > Run this command:
19 > rc-update add udev-mount sysinit
20 > LOG: postinst
23 <SNIP>
27 > Always good to have some idiot change things without mentioning it.
28 >
29 > Before the update and reboot mine was /dev/cdrom symlinked to /dev/sr0
30 >
31 > Good way to spend my day finding what said idiot broke where/why...
34 Thanks Bruce. That at least goes a long way toward explaining why the
35 system is acting the way it's acting. Threw me for a loop I must say.
36
37 Interestingly I don't have the elog file you show above. (Not sure I
38 should, just saying I don't.) In the file above it talks about running
39 udev-mount in sysinit which I don't have, and have never had. I shows
40 up in rc-update show --verbose so I could set it I suppose although I
41 hate messing with sysinit level stuff when I'm not clear why it's
42 needed.
43
44 Thanks for the pointer on why this happened.
45
46 Cheers,
47 Mark