From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPTables question... simple as possible for starters
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:21:28
1 On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Dec 30, 2013 7:31 PM, "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Minor additions to what Pandu said...
6 >>
7 >> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
8 >> > On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
9 >> > wrote:
10 >>
11 >> > The numbers within [brackets] are statistics/countes. Just replace
12 >> > them with [0:0], unless you really really really have a good reason to
13 >> > not start counting from 0...
14 >> >
15 >>
16 >> AFAIK, there's no reason this shouldn't alway be set to 0. If you want
17 >> to keep your counter do --noflush
18 >>
19 >> > NOTE: In that ServerFault posting, I suggested using the anti-attack
20 >> > rules in -t raw -A PREROUTING. This saves a great deal of processing,
21 >> > becase the "raw" table is just that: raw, unadulterated, unanalyzed
22 >> > packets. The CPU assumes nothing, it merely tries to match well-known
23 >> > fields' values.
24 >> >
25 >>
26 >> And because nothing is assumed, you can't prepend a conntrack rule. I
27 >> can't think of why you'd ever want those packets (and I should
28 >> probably move at least those 4 masks to raw) but just an FYI - no
29 >> processing means no processing.
30 >>
31 >> Also see nftables: http://netfilter.org/projects/nftables/
34 > Very interesting... were they aiming for something similar to *BSD's pf
35 > firewall?
38 IDK (I think I remember reading that, but maybe I was just dreaming as
39 I can't recall where), but that's sorta what it's looking like at this
40 point.
41
42 > I personally prefer iptables-style firewall; no guessing about how a state
43 > machine will respond in strange situations. Especially since I greatly
44 > leverage ipset and '-m condition' (part of xtables-addons), which might or
45 > might not be fully supported by nftables.
48 pf is easier to learn. I use iptables much more, but if I need to do
49 something with pf, it wouldn't take me very long to re-learn what's
50 going on so that's sorta a plus for pf. IIRC, nftables is supposed to
51 be backward compatible. But, will x module work.... I hope they didn't
52 go and break stuff too much :)