From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] managing RAM usage
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 06:21:32
1 >> I'm trying to maximize the number of servers I can run on my machine
2 >> without running out of physical RAM. I noticed something strange when
3 >> comparing top and free statistics:
4 >>
5 >> top says each PID associated with a particular server has a RES of
6 >> about 100M. Does that mean each running instance of that server
7 >> reserves 100MB? Since there are 20 of these servers running, this
8 >> seems contradictory to the output from free which indicates less than
9 >> 1GB used -/+ buffers/cache.
10 >>
11 >> Is there any way to monitor RAM usage over time to see how close I'm
12 >> getting to using all of my physical RAM?
13 >>
14 >> - Grant
15 >
16 > Check out my friend's information here http://koltsoff.com/pub/ures/ and the
17 > accompanying Meminfo script (linked at bottom of ^ web page).
18 > --
19 > Happy Penguin Computers >')
20
21 Thanks for that info. The answer to this question seems pretty
22 indefinite. I'm now logging 'free' to a file once per minute so I can
23 see how real-world traffic affects overall memory usage. Still I
24 would need to see the system with processed forked all the way to
25 MaxClients to know how close it gets to OOM.
26
27 - Grant