From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WIn2003 interfering Samba ?
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 07:45:43
1 On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:24:01 +0100 (CET)
2 support@××××××.de wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I have an Samba server as a PDC running in a local network. Everything
7 > works fine. Now we installed a Windows 2003 Small Business Server
8 > with MS SQL in the network, because one application needs the MS SQL
9 > Server.. Honestly I have no great knowledge of MS Server and
10 > Networks, so I left it pretty much untouched.
11 >
12 > Now two clients are not able anymore to access the shares on the samba
13 > server which an strange error message (in German in fact) meaning
14 > something like "cannot retrieve informations from domain controller".
15 > I never saw that before and now i am concerned that the windows
16 > server is interfering somehow with the Samba PDC.
17 >
18 > Any ideas ? Hints ?
19 >
20 > Thanks
21 > Stonki
25 Hi,
26
27 If my memory serves well, I've read/heard somewhere that the SBS
28 edition of MS Win2003 is pre-set to be "The PDC". Assuming this is the
29 case, my guess is that your Win2003 and the existing Gentoo SAMBA
30 server are both declaring them selves as "The PDC". Depending on
31 different conditions in your network some clients see the SAMBA server
32 as the PDC, and others see the MS SBS as the PDC.
33
34 Again, I'm not sure about all this, so use it just as a hint in your
35 investigation.
38 Best regards,
39 Daniel
40 --