From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:24:01
1 On 19-Apr-13 16:21, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > Previously I had asked for some help with a preconfigured image, but
4 > decided against that, and have been playing and reading.
5 >
6 > I'm ready to get down to brass tacks with the ultimate goal of getting a
7 > new gentoo vm up and running on my esxi host this weekend.
8 >
9 > Can someone point me to some recent/decent docs on best practices for
10 > this? Ideally gentoo related, but just general linux related would be ok
11 > too.
12 >
13 > Things like vmware-tools installation (is open-vm-tools good enough
14 > nowadays?), time syncing, snapshots/backups, etc is what I'm looking for.
15
16 May I join the club? I have been running a few Gentoo-VMs
17 for some time, but I'm still quite new to this "ESXi-world".
18 But one I know for sure is that hypervisor-virtualization
19 is much more complex than OS-virtualization (i.e. VServer
20 or OpenVZ which I have used previously).
21
22 vmware-tools: I have tested open-vm-tools but now I'm running
23 my VMs without them because every kernel upgrade was a real
24 pain in a**. And trully I did not see any benefit in running
25 vm-tools (maybe it would be different on desktop). For
26 shutdown of Gentoo-VMs from ESXi I use ssh-script or
27 hibernation.
28
29 Snapshots are very well covered by esxi and for backup I use
30 ghetto-vcb tool (script). It tried backup&restore on one
31 of my running Gentoo-VM servers and it works like charm.
32
33 For VM-hardware I used (iirc) CentOS template, because
34 with "other linux 64b" I did not get hw-options I wanted
35 to use (LSI-Logic Parallel SCSI controller, and VMXNET3
36 network adapter).
37
38 Unfortunatelly there is not a lot info about Gentoo & ESXi
39 and what exists is quite outdated (i.e. Gentoo-wiki). But
40 I used guidelines for general linux-VM, and I consulted
41 problems on VMware community web-page...
42
43 Jarry
44 --
46 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
47 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.