From: Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to install gentoo on an OLD K6 box w/ tight memory & small disks?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:44:59
1 On Tuesday 23 January 2007 15:21, Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have a rather old computer (tyan motherboard, K6 processor) which
4 > currently runs debian. I want to convert it to a gentoo box. As the
5 > system is rather old and it's disks are very small by today's
6 > standards, too, I would like to hear about your experiences with such
7 > tight situations.
8
9 I have an old P2 233Mhz laptop that runs Gentoo. I build the system on a
10 modern, very fast machine (specifying the right architecture) and then zipped
11 up the partition up into a tarball. Then boot up the old machine with a Live
12 CD and ftp over the tarball, unpack it, tweak /etc/fstab, install Grub and
13 away you go!
14
15 HTH
16 -Robin.