From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC, new boot concepts
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:01:50
1 On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:22:04 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > The MoBo is capable of booting in CMS mode, but I am not sure if there
4 > are any benefits in creating a 2MB partition for a conventional MBR
5 > bootloader, or I should forego MBR altogether and go directly with a
6 > GPT FAT32 EFI System Partition (ESP).
7 >
8 > If the latter is the way to go and I forget all things I ever learned
9 > about MBR, does the 550MB FAT32 ESP partition have to be at the
10 > beginning of the drive?
11
12 Yes, it should be sda1. You can also use this partition as /boot, and
13 should do so if you use Gummiboot.
14
15 > Is it beneficial to install a Linux boot loader/manager like GRUB2, or
16 > rEFInd, etc., or should I just use the kernel EFI Boot Stub to boot
17 > gentoo with?
18
19 I use a bootloader, gummiboot, as it makes it easy to select different
20 options when booting.
21
22 > The PC will single boot in Gentoo, although I may drop in
23 > a sysrescuecd image for recovery purposes and would be nice to be able
24 > to boot this straight off the disk, without having to burn it on a
25 > CDROM. Is it simply a matter of adding the LiveCD iso in the ESP with
26 > a .efi suffix, or will I need to use efibootmgr to inform the UEFI
27 > about *any* kernel images in the ESP other than the default
28 > EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi?
29
30 I still use GRUB to boot ISO images, and have a sysrescd image in /boot
31 for this. With UEFI, you can have more than one bootloader installed. I
32 hadn't considered the possibility of UEFI booting to an ISO directly, I'd
33 be interested to know if it is possible.
34
35 > Finally, what's your opinion on 'secure boot'?
36
37 That the main security is is aimed at is job security for MS employees. I
38 turn it off straight away.
42 Neil Bothwick
43
44 Top Oxymorons Number 44: Advanced BASIC