From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Way OT] Tally ho!
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 17:40:51
1 On 29 June 2014 18:38:11 CEST, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> Of course! I missed the Spitfire, so I don't know how high it flew,
4 >but the
5 >> Hurricane sound from no more than a couple of hundred feet or so was
6 >among the
7 >> two or three most impressive of my life. Both planes have V12
8 >Rolls-Royce
9 >> Merlin engines (I think). As each cylinder fired, the sound pressure
10 >went up
11 >> extremely fast at the start of the exhaust beat, suggesting huge
12 >exhaust
13 >> valves, and the deep-throated roar was ... just ... beyond
14 >description.
15 >>
16 >> The only engine to come close was an extraordinary 1/3 scale model of
17 >a nine-
18 >> cylinder radial aero-engine I saw years ago at a national model
19 >engineering
20 >> exhibition. The crankshaft was anchored to the frame, and the entire
21 >engine
22 >> and prop rotated around it. That's what you call air-cooling!
23 >Absolutely
24 >> fantastic when he fired it up once an hour or so!
25 >
26 >Yep. Some of those prop engines are very powerful, maybe not so
27 >efficient tho. Anyway, they sure do make some noise even if the engine
28 >is small. I don't think they have mufflers or if they do, it isn't
29 >much
30 >of one. I also think they burn methanol or something too. I'm not
31 >sure
32 >and it may even vary from one engine to another. I don't think they
33 >burn plain old gas like cars.
34
35 If you are talking about model engines. The bigger ones run normal petrol, just like cars, lawn mowers, chain saws,.....
36
37 >>> I live about 4 or 5 miles from a air force base here. We have
38 >mostly
39 >>> training type planes that fly over us but on occasion, we have
40 >something
41 >>> really big here. We have even had the space shuttle land there a
42 >few times.
43 >>> The B2 bombers have been there as well.
44 >> Sounds like a good place to live! That's not Edwards, is it? I drove
45 >up to the
46 >> gates once to see what they'd say. They were actually quite polite.
47 >
48 >I'm close to Columbus Air Force base in Mississippi. It has a huge
49 >runway. It is one reason the space shuttle lands here. It takes a
50 >long
51 >runway to land and take off when carrying that thing. I say space
52 >shuttle, it's mounted on the back of a 747 I think. What's more neat
53 >tho is the big bombers. My Dad several decades ago was doing a
54 >contract
55 >job at the base. For some reason they had the really big bombers out
56 >there with armed military guards everywhere. They wouldn't let anyone
57 >even near those things. He could see them real good tho. He said "it
58 >looked like death, just plain death". Later on my Dad found out it was
59 >loaded up with bombs that they were moving somewhere else. Death was
60 >more accurate than he thought.
64 >>> I have heard some of the large planes when they start their engines
65 >and
66 >>> like I said, I'm several miles away and it is loud. Video just
67 >can't
68 >>> give you that even with a good sub-woofer.
69 >> Even that wouldn't help much, I think. You'd need something that can
70 >handle an
71 >> extremely rapid wave-front and high volumes. As you said - you had to
72 >be
73 >> there.
74 >
75 >Yep, speakers can only do so much.
79 >>> Thanks for the link.
80 >> My pleasure. I don't know when we'll get the Hurricane one - the man
81 >with the
82 >> camera just put a two-word entry on Twitter this morning: "Hashtag
83 >HEADACHE"
87 >Oooops.
88 >
89 >Dale
90 >
95 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.