From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Curious ping problem with no FW
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:17:10
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Monday 14 July 2008, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> I've had a problem with being able to ping out to the internet from my
5 >> gentoo box, while at the same time I'm able to ping outbound from
6 >> several windows boxes on same home lan.
7 >>
8 >> I don't run a firewall at all from linux but do have a Netgear
9 >> switch/router/Firewall upstream between me and the internet cable
10 >> modem.
11 > [snip..]
12 >
13 >> My router/fw can be set to deny specific machines outbound traffic but
14 >> that is not done in this case. So the solution must reside somewhere
15 >> in my gentoo install.
16 >
17 > It may be worth checking your router's firewall rules once more. Is the
18 > gentoo box connected to the router in the same fashion as the MSWindows
19 > boxen, or is it in some funny DMZ set up?
20
21 The section involving blocking has nothing whatever set.
22
23 > What do the firewall logs show?
24
25 Since there is nothing outgoing set to log, it says nothing.
26
27 >> What things should I be checking.
28 >
29 > If as you say you have no firewall on the Gentoo box then you ought to have a
30 > quick look at your kernel. Use sysclt:
31 >
32 > /sbin/sysctl -a
33
34 Here I see:
35 sysctl -a|grep 'net.*icmp'
36
37 net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all = 0
38 net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1
39 net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses = 1
40 net.ipv4.icmp_errors_use_inbound_ifaddr = 0
41 net.ipv4.icmp_ratelimit = 250
42 net.ipv4.icmp_ratemask = 6168
43
44 But not sure what any of it means. The first line looks kind of
45 ominous though.
46
47 >> A ping attempt like this:
48 >>
49 >> ping ftp.ucsb.edu
50 >> PING ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43) 56(84) bytes of data.
51 >>
52 >> Just never moves any further, but you can see it has resolved the
53 >> alpha address to numeric forum so must have contacted and received
54 >> info from the nameserver.
55 >
56 > Or from your router if it acts as a caching DNS resolver?
57
58 I don't think so, at least there is no mention in the documentation of
59 such a feature.