From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:19:32
1 On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 12:03:39 -0400,
2 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >
4 > On 4/22/20 11:58 AM, John Covici wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Yes, portage agrees with that statement, maybe I didn't give you the
7 > > whole log, I thought it said that in there -- I did see that, I am
8 > > sure. My question is how does this work normally, when you merge a
9 > > package and update is this not always the case that there are files
10 > > owned by the previous version on the system?
13 > Yeah, but the package manager knows which files are owned by the version
14 > being replaced and it doesn't complain about those.
15
16 That makes no sense to me -- portage itself says those files are owned
17 by 14.7.1965(14) so if its telling me that why does it not just
18 replace those files?
21 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
22 How do
23 you spend it?
24
25 John Covici wb2una