From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Decrapifying my system
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:30:06
1 On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm running into space issues (my / partition is at 99% of capacity) and
3 > I'd like some advice on what I can remove and how.  My USE line in
4 > /etc/make.conf looks like this:
5 >
6 > USE="-setup declarative static-libs gallium moonlight semantic-desktop
7 > -kdeprefix -aqua policykit cdda vhosts automount flashblock jadetex
8 > vanilla additions mplayer -evo gentoo a52  -asterisk dbus ctype session
9 > zaptel ivtv -kerberos gphoto2 pcre mode-owner -firefox seamonkey
10 > -mozilla candy apache2 oss -apm alsa arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cdr
11 > crypt cups doc encode fortran f77 foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm -gnome
12 > gstreamer -gtk -gtk2 imlib jpeg -kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg
13 > ncurses nls oggvorbis pam pdf lib png ppds python -qt quicktime readline
14 > -samba sasl sdl threads nntp spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd truetype usb X
15 > xml xml2 xmms xv zlib x86 imap offensive java mysql examples mmx mmx2
16 > perl divx4linux real mmxext audiofile nas snmp hal unicode guile slp
17 > tidy dvd dvdr dvdread flash glut new-login browserplugin nsplugin bzip2
18 > win32codecs v4l v4l2 ruby sql lirc mythtv dvb ffmpeg userlocales php
19 > -debug jack jack-tempfs portaudio bash-completion bind-mysql joystick
20 > cli cgi ftp dba nptl nptlonly libclamav syslog jikes mpm-leader ithreads
21 > -nautilus tcl expat"
22 >
23 > and I'd like to completely remove both gnome and kde (except for kpat).
24 >  I use xfce, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?  I've tried emerge
25 > -C gnome and emerge -C kde, but the gnome line only unmerged the final
26 > gnome package, and the kde line didn't work at all (I'm thinking it's
27 > called kde-meta now), but unmerging kde-meta only unmerged the final kde
28 > package.  How do I do this?
32 I would recommend using emerge -p --depclean to see what can be yanked
33 off automatically. since you have the gnome and kde-meta packages
34 already uninstalled it should pull all the chunks out for you.
37 No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large
38 number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.