From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with hi-res display and nouveau driver on *one* system
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 00:13:07
1 On Sun, May 11 2014, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > I copied the two messages, and compared them side-by-each in xterms.
4
5 I had done exactly that prior to posting
6
7 > When X realizes that you have an Nvidia card, and no xorg.conf, it sets
8 > up a list of all drivers that could possibly work with your card, and
9 > goes around probing, trying to find them...
10 >
11 > The NG version reports...
12 >
13 > [ 20.299] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
14 > [ 20.314] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
15 > [ 20.537] (II) LoadModule: "nv"
16 > [ 20.537] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
17 > [ 20.607] (II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
18 >
19 > ***IT'S LOADING BOTH NOUVEAU AND NV (NVIDIA BINARY BLOB) DRIVERS***.
20
21 I am embarrassed to report that I missed that (perhaps nv is the nv
22 nvidia; but in any case it is loading two drivers, which is bad).
23 Thank you very much for this catch
24
25 > Plan A) unmerge the Nvidia binary drivers
26
27 I had done that initially
28
29 > Plan B) if Plan A fails, manually remove
30 > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
31
32 This helped considerably. No grey bands; instead gdm puts up its
33 screensaver and tells us the (correct) time. Moving the mouse moves the
34 pointer and clicking on the upper right button shows the volume etc.
35 > -
36 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
37 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
38
39 I realize you don't use gdm/gnome. But perhaps someone has seen the
40 following problem.
41
42 To release the screensaver, the current gnome wants you to press mouse
43 button1 and move the mouse up (as with phones and tablets). This fails
44 to end the screensaver, instead the pointer just moves (as though the
45 mouse button wasn't pressed). I tried two mice with the same result.
46
47 I changed DISPLAYMANAGER to xdm in /etc/conf.d/xdm and restarted xdm
48 (this machine has not yet been converted to systemd). I could enter
49 username and password, but then the login screen simply reappeared.
50 This occurred for both root and my normal user.
51
52 Thank you again walter.
53 allan