From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Steve <Gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curious pattern in log files from ssh...
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:03:44
1 On December 3, 2008, Steve wrote:
2 > Sure, I could use IPtables to block all these bad ports... or... I could
3 > disable password authentication entirely... but I keep thinking that
4 > there has to be something better I can do... any suggestions? Is there
5 > a simple way to integrate a block-list of known-compromised hosts into
6 > IPtables - rather like my postfix is configured to drop connections from
7 > known spam sources from the sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org DNS block list, for
8 > example.
9
10 I went the path of paswordless entries (i.e. DSA/RSA keys) and I think it
11 helped a lot, no botnet/worm/cracker is known to do selective key assembly so
12 far and it's a labour-intensive process. I think applying keys is a very good
13 step forward (well, and make sure every externally exposed service is
14 properly patched and secured ;) ).
17 Dmitry Makovey
18 Web Systems Administrator
19 Athabasca University