From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Skype users
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 16:46:45
1 My guess is that eventually it will be. Microsoft tends to be fond of
2 turfing old versions of its software *cough*windows10*cough*
3
4 As the mantainer of a package with no patchable source code provided I'll
5 have little choice but to reflect the upstream reality as clearly as
6 possible.
7
8 What I personally think would be nice:
9
10 1. A backend layer, OS specific, that handles low level details like
11 making network connections, writing to logs, opening audio/video devices
12 (mic, speakers, webcam)
13 2. A skype layer, OS and GUI independent, that contains everything related
14 to skype's core stuff. Encryption, contact lists, group chats, interfacing
15 with the skype servers
16 3. A frontend layer, OS specific, that handles window management, keyboard
17 input, clicking on menus, providing widgets, and so on. This could factor
18 in differences between windows, OSX, GNOME, KDE, GTK+, and the like, all
19 without compromising the portability of the middle or backend layers.
20
21 If Microsoft broke its skype code up like this it would be extremely easy
22 to maintain in a cross platform manner.
23
24 This is how gallium3d was set up
25