From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to minimise resource usage during emerge
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:38:53
1 On Saturday 13 September 2008 10:32:20 Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
2 > I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
3 > trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
4 > memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
5 > bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.
6 >
7 > Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
8 > server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
9 > Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?
10 >
11 > Cheers,
12 > Hilco
13
14 Do you have another more powerful gentoo machine available where you can build
15 the packages there and install just binaries on the virtual server?
19 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com