From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Catastrophic bug in the firefox 'ProfileManager' function
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 22:18:48
1 On Wednesday 22 Jul 2015 19:43:43 Dale wrote:
2
3 > So, don't use something that is within your browser but then go and type
4 > that password . . . in your browser? Yea, that'll work. Heck, if I
5 > really wanted something that secure, I'd unplug the ethernet cable and
6 > turn off my modem. Then I might be secure.
7
8 LOL! No, I meant that you decrypt your passwd containing text file, sql file,
9 localc file, or whatever file you use. Then you use something like cat, or
10 less, or localc to view/search it. It can all be scripted so that you run a
11 single command alias in a terminal and it asks you for your gpg passphrase,
12 before it opens the file for you.
13
14 A terminal is unlikely to suffer from XSS, javascript injection, sql
15 injection, et al. but a browser could. Then you can copy & paste whichever
16 account passwd you needed into a browser, but this will NOT be your master
17 passphrase. Even if the passwd you paste into a browser ends up being
18 compromised, it will only be one passwd and a single account, rather than your
19 master passphrase and all your accounts.
22 > Just how many of these sticks do I need? Are we looking at a dozen or
23 > more which will have to be all kept up to date as well? Come on, be
24 > realistic here. I doubt anyone is going to spend the time to do all that.
25
26 You need more than one, if you want to keep your passwds file stored off your
27 machine. I keep mine on a PC which is air-gapped and a second copy on a USB
28 stick. You may need a third copy kept at different premises, if you want to
29 guard against DR.
32 > But with Lastpass, I don't have to worry about that. I can go to my
33 > brothers house, put my email and password in Lastpass and carry on with
34 > life. No need for a USB stick at all or having to wonder when was the
35 > last time I updated the passwords on it either.
36 >
37 > I'm trying to be realistic here. I try to be as secure as I can but
38 > within REASON. As I mentioned above, if I really need and must be that
39 > secure, I'd unplug the ethernet cable and turn off my modem. Then I
40 > wouldn't have to worry about it unless someone broke into my home. Of
41 > course, I wouldn't have the benefit of using the internet either.
42
43 Sure, security and convenience are not always best bedfellows. We are
44 discussing about hypothetical risks here and different users' risk tolerances.
45 If you encrypt the file separately with a strong key before you upload it, and
46 this encryption key is different to your authentication key on the Lastpass
47 website, then the risk of your encrypted file being cracked is rather low.
48 When people discovered that their Lastpass account had been compromised, this
49 did not necessarily mean that their encrypted file had been compromised too.
50 However, I don't know exactly what the security architecture of Lastpass is to
51 comment on the specifics. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't trust storing my
52 passwds on the cloud for the sake of convenience.
53
54 YMMV. :-)
57 Regards,
58 Mick