From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 05:56:01
1 On Dec 17, 2012 7:31 AM, "Kevin Chadwick" <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:32:24 +0200
4 > nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
5 >
6 > > My thanks, too! There's nothing like reading on some actual experience
7 > > with this. So this was once the reason to keep / separate. Not that
8 > > important anymore (but this is still no excuse to force people to keep
9 > > /usr in the same filesystem).
10 >
11 > Sorry but real world data is important and I am fully aware of the
12 > academic theorist problems compared to practical experience but this
13 > simply doesn't apply here. I didn't see any evidence or
14 > argument that a larger root conducting millions more writes is as safe
15 > as a smaller read only one perhaos not touched for months.
16 >
17 > The testing criteria were very generally put and just because an
18 > earthquake hasn't hit 200 building in the last 50 years is no reason to
19 > remove shock absorbers or other measures from sky scrapers.
22 This.
23
24 My desire to separate / and /usr are more for minimizing possible problems
25 with the filesystem. Yes, I can mount /usr ro, but sooner or later I have
26 to mount it rw, and as Murphy's Law dictates, it's exactly at that moment
27 something bad will happen.
28
29 Rgds,
30 --