From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] list of kernel modules
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 16:22:40
1 * Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [120406 12:16]:
2 > On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > * Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [120406 11:40]:
4 > > [..]
5 > >> To me it looks safe to emerge -C kmod and then emerge
6 > >> module-init-tools if you want to go that way. I'd do an equery files
7 > >> kmod and carefully study what you're getting with that package, or
8 > >> else push a bug request up to that package maintainer for providing a
9 > >> modprobe that's not 100% compatible.
10 > >>
11 > >> Good luck,
12 > >> Mark
13 > >
14 > > udev-182-r2 and dracut depend on kmod.
15 > >
16 > > So if the OP hasn't masked them then he needs kmod.
17 > >
18 > > Todd
21 > I have the newer udev masked, but I do have dracut installed and don't
22 > need kmod here.
23 >
24 > My system is _mostly_ stable, not ~amd64, so possibly that's part of the issue.
25 >
26 > - Mark
27
28 Hmm, I'd expect dracut to depend on virtual/modutils-0 then but
29 dracut-017-r3 sure doesn't seem to:
30
31 equery d kmod
32 sys-kernel/dracut-017-r3 (>sys-apps/kmod-5[tools])
33
34 Wait, I looked at the ebuild and it depends on either module-init-tools
35 or kmod so that's why.
36
37 So it looks like just udev-182-r2 depends upon it.
38
39 Sorry for the misinformation.
40
41 Todd