From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange compile errors
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 10:08:14
1 On Saturday, 28 April 2018 00:37:30 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 27 April 2018 18:43:27 BST Mick wrote:
3 > > I haven't used genkernel to be able to advise, but this page explains what
4 > > you need to do:
5 > >
6 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel_microcode
7 > >
8 > > However, you may find it makes no difference. Intel have announced they
9 > > will not be bringing out updated microcode to address the GPZ
10 > > vulnerabilities for any of their older CPUs. This has given me one more
11 > > reason to never buy Intel again.
12 >
13 > Oh? What are your other reasons? :?
14
15 Modern Intel CPUs are compromised by design:
16
17 https://blog.invisiblethings.org/2015/10/27/x86_harmful.html
18
19 Unfortunately AMD has also succumbed to similar proprietary and therefore
20 secret security mechanisms built within their CPUs. POWER9 CPUs do not suffer
21 from these afflictions and come with open source firmware, but a POWER9 system
22 will cost you a significant amount of money and it is designed for the server
23 market. For a typical budget constrained home user there is currently no
24 choice other than buying knowingly inferior and insecure hardware. :-(
27 Regards,
28 Mick