From: Dan Egli <dan@×××××××××××.site>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a USB-key-to-hard-drive-tap-dance-boot possible?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 19:33:31
1 On 12/25/2020 9:41 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 03:49:35PM -0700, Dan Egli wrote
3 >> I see your problem, I think. You don't have your ESP mounted, so
4 >> grub can't write the EFI files to it. You are likely trying to use
5 >> grub with grub-install /dev/sda. That won't work for EFI.
6 >>
7 >> mkdir /boot/efi
8 >> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
9 >> grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi
10 >> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
11 >>
12 >> you MAY need to add --removable to the grub-install line. Some EFI
13 >> setups prefer that.
14 > I have this sinking feeling in my stomach that I need to blow away
15 > the install (after scp'ing config files to my desktop) and start over.
16 > There is no room for another partition. Apparently, using fdisk (like I
17 > did) to partition a GPT system is begging for problems down the road.
18 >
19 > After 20 years on linux, I've been reduced to a newbie. BIOS boot,
20 > Lilo, and fdisk served me well for 2 decades. Now I'm going to have to
21 > learn UEFI, grub, and parted all at once. I'll start a new thread
22 > tomorrow once I have my config files copied off. Then I'll install UEFI
23 > mode properly.
24 >
25 One thing you could try is using gparted to shrink the partition ever so
26 slightly. It doesn't need to be big at all. The standard windows EFI
27 partition is 100MB! That's it. It's not a matter of using FDisk, as I
28 did too. It's just a matter of remembering to make the partition.
32 Dan Egli
33 From my Test Server