From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Notice: possible past, present and future breakage related to .la files
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:26:35
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Il giorno gio, 30/09/2010 alle 16.10 +0100, Neil Bothwick ha scritto:
3 >>
4 >> > 2.2 series also got the same feature, but I don't remember since
5 >> which
6 >> > rc… the latest masked version is definitely fine though.
7 >>
8 >> Does that mean I shouldn't have to run lafilefixer as it  run
9 >> automatically on new installs?
10 >
11 > You should still run it once, to make sure that the system is clean, but
12 > you can forget about it afterwards, and even unmerge it from the system.
13 >
14 > The alternative, of course, is to emerge -e world — but I wouldn't
15 > suggest that just to spend some time ;)
16 >
17 > In either case, whether you add the function or leave it to Portage to
18 > deal with, it should become transparent after the first time and nothing
19 > else should be necessary for the continuous stability of the system.
22 Thanks for all the info Diego.
23
24 I found this morning on one system that uses ~amd64 portage that
25 lafilefixer did fix a couple of things so it seems that maybe I needed
26 it once at least.
27
28 QUESTIONS: If I add the function to /etc/portage/bashrc then does it
29 get updated and removed as I install new versions of portage? Will it
30 being there cause any problems with later versions of portage that
31 don't require it?
32
33 Cheers,
34 Mark