From: Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:08:09
1 > > >
2 > > > On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle
3 > wrote:
4 > > > > Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get
5 > my new
6 > > >
7 > > > Hauppage USB tv stick to
8 > > >
9 > > > > work under linux.
10 > > > >
11 > > > > I have been constantly perplexed by
12 > references to
13 > > >
14 > > > compilable kernel modules
15 > > >
16 > > > > I couldn't see! I assumed it was because
17 > they
18 > > >
19 > > > referred to old modules or
20 > > >
21 > > > > something.
22 > > > >
23 > > > > But having downloaded and booted into
24 > Knoppix and run
25 > > >
26 > > > make menuconfig on
27 > > >
28 > > > > that i have confirmed that kernel seems to
29 > have
30 > > >
31 > > > 10's of TV card chipset
32 > > >
33 > > > > drivers availible to compile whereas
34 > > >
35 > > > gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
36 > > >
37 > > > > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
38 > > > >
39 > > > > Can someone offer me some assistance as to
40 > why this
41 > > >
42 > > > might be?
43 > > >
44 > > > > Thank you
45 > > > >
46 > > > > (This is my first mailing list post - please
47 > be
48 > > >
49 > > > gentle!)
50 > > >
51 > > >
52 > > > because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are
53 > developed
54 > > > outside of the main
55 > > > kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under
56 > > > experimental.
57 > > >
58 > > > For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial
59 > rep and
60 > > > do a make, make
61 > > > install in it do get drivers that work. And with
62 > > > 'work' I mean: no sound on
63 > > > first try, but after disconnecting the stick and
64 > > > reconnecting it, it suddenly
65 > > > works.
66 > >
67 > > Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the
68 > option to add
69 > > support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add
70 > steps to the
71 > > menuconfig?
72 >
73 > no.
74 > it just installs all the drivers in the rep as modules. It
75 > doesn't touch any
76 > configs at all.
77
78 Hmmm i wonder why i have seen sooo many references to alot more kernel options than i have in either my gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources. Is it possible to 'patch' the kernel source instead of downloading using mercurial. Also how does it 'know' what kernel to make the modules available under? I have 3 sets of kernel code on my machine?