From: Christian Franke <cfchris6@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curious pattern in log files from ssh...
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 19:03:38
1 On 12/03/2008 09:02 PM, Steve wrote:
2 > I've recently discovered a curious pattern emerging in my system log
3 > with failed login attempts via ssh.
4 >
5 > I'm not particularly concerned - since I'm confident that all my users
6 > have strong passwords... but it strikes me that this data identifies a
7 > bot-net that is clearly malicious attempting to break passwords.
8 >
9 > Sure, I could use IPtables to block all these bad ports... or... I could
10 > disable password authentication entirely... but I keep thinking that
11 > there has to be something better I can do... any suggestions? Is there
12 > a simple way to integrate a block-list of known-compromised hosts into
13 > IPtables - rather like my postfix is configured to drop connections from
14 > known spam sources from the sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org DNS block list, for
15 > example.
16
17 I just don't see what blocking ssh-bruteforce attempts should be good
18 for, at least on a server where few _users_ are active.
19
20 The chance that security of a well configured system will be compromised
21 by that is next to zero, and on recent systems it is also impossible to
22 cause significant load with ssh-login-attempts.
23
24 Also, things like fail2ban add new attack-possibilities to a system, I
25 remember the old DoS for fail2ban, resulting from a wrong regex in log
26 file parsing, but I think at least this is fixed now.
27
28 Regards,
29 Christian Franke