From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: WebCam? Second Edition
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:44:57
1 On 26 Jul 2009, at 05:35, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Current status:
3 > WebCam...
4 > I cannot get above 10...15fps with reasonable resolutions
5 > like 640x480 or 800x600. Even 320x240 gives me only 10...15fps.
6 > And the stream get really jurky when recorded.
7 >
8 > Before I buy again a camera, which is _/said/_ to work with linux
9 > with 25 fps at at least 640x480 and fails to do so:
10 > I need a WebCam with good image quality to watch/record birds.
11 > Since theese are fast animals :) framerates of 10...15fps are
12 > no option.
13 >
14 > Is there anyone out there, who owns a WebCam, which definetly
15 > _works_ with a resolution of at least 640x480 and 25fps or above
16 > and which has a good image quality under a recent linux?
17
18 What else do you have on the USB bus?
19
20 AIUI the Playstation "Eye" camera is pretty good quality - certainly
21 looks that way to me - and is known for pretty much maxing out the bus
22 it's on. I believe it will suffer if it's plugged into a USB hub, or
23 if anything else is plugged into the same USB bus - AIUI this may even
24 include the adjacent USB port on the back of the PC.
25
26 That camera appears to be about the same sort of resolution as the one
27 you're talking about, so you may find the same issues affect you:
28 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_Eye
29
30 You also need to be sure your USB ports are of the current generation,
31 and not the older slower type.
32
33 It is rather a shame that firewire was less successful - I appreciate
34 the cheapness & ubiquity of USB, but AIUI firewire does not suffer
35 from quite the same bandwidth issues.
36
37 You can pick up these Playstation "Eye" cameras for about £20 or £25,
38 although you may find the angle of view a little wide for birdwatching.
39
40 Stroller.