From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Filesystem recommendation for external media storage
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:09:20
1 Hi list
2
3 By chance I found an external 3 TB disk for a bargain and now I’m planning its
4 partitioning. I am thus looking for a filesystem that doesn’t necessarily
5 need file permissions to function, the reason being that I might want to take
6 the disk to other people in order to copy files around. That’s why I don’t
7 really want to use ext4 (my FS of choice for everything else).
8
9 My current media HDD (1 TB) runs on FAT32. But this is not up-to-date anymore
10 due to the 4 GiB filesize limitation. NTFS is also not a good option (for me
11 anyway), because whenever I copy a file to it, ntfs-3g sets its mtime to
12 now(). This makes it impossible to do automated syncing. Also, it loads the
13 CPU pretty heavily when being written to.
14
15 Windows compatibility is not a must, but a nice-to-have. That would reduce my
16 remaining choices to ExFAT, I presume.
17
18 What’s your advice? Thanks a latte.
19 --
20 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
21 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
22
23 Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers
24 believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.