From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Just a heads-up, I think =sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3 is a stinker.
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:27:04
1 On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> I've had two segfaults I'd never seen before. One in sudo and one in
6 >>>> rdesktop. Updates later when I get things better tracked down.
7 >>>
8 >>> I had a gcc segfault in my atom server, with MAKEOPTS=-j5. With
9 >>> MAKEOPTS=-j1, I got undefined references while linking some modules.
10 >>> My desktop and my laptop, however, compiled it without problems.
11 >>>
12 >>> I haven't had the time to check it, but it seems weird.
13 >>
14 >> Replacing with a binpackage from packages.gentooexperimental.org got
15 >> bash working. Now I'm seeing if I can re-emerge gcc, binutils and
16 >> glibc.
17 >>
18 >> If that goes through, I'm going to restart the emerge -e; my resume
19 >> stack is probably toast.
20 >
21 > Ok, yes. This version of glibc, =sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3, is crud. At
22 > least, if you're doing parallel building. Out of my three machines,
23 > the 8-core box got bit by it, the 4-core box got bit by it, but the
24 > 2-core laptop sailed past.
25 >
26 > I have a hunch that setting MAKEOPTS="-j1" will fix it for me, and I'm
27 > letting that run as I head off to sleep in a few minutes.
28
29 Note, my experiences and instructions are specific to amd64 boxes. I
30 don't know if other boxes are affected, and the workaround I'm writing
31 below is not appropriate for anything but amd64.
32
33 Incidentally, you'll know if your box got bit if you do a large set of
34 emerges which include building glibc, and everything after glibc's
35 'Install' phase fails. Don't trust emerge's output; at this point,
36 bash is segfaulting on startup, which makes emerge utterly unreliable,
37 even as it tries to tell you the cause for errors.
38
39 DO NOT close your open shells; you won't be able to launch bash until
40 you've fixed this.
41
42 To work around, you'll need a root shell. If you have any shell at
43 all, you should be able to get a root shell by running
44
45 sudo busybox sh
46
47 in any of your remaining shells which have sudoer access.
48
49 grab
50
51 glibc-2.14.1-r3.tbz2
52
53 from
54
55 http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/packages/amd64-unstable/sys-libs/
56
57 using wget. At least in my situation, wget still worked. Move the
58 tarball to your / directory:
59
60 mv glibc-2.14.1-r3.tbz2 /
61
62 and unpack it
63
64 tar xvjpf glibc-2.14.1-r3.tbz2
65
66 You should now have bash back, which means you'll have emerge back,
67 and probably the rest of your system.
70 :wq