From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems with KDE & Flash after moving to dual adapter
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:25:04
1 Hi,
2 I'm wondering what experience (and hopefully guidance) others can
3 provide to hopefully fix these new problems on my compute server.
4 Thanks in advance.
5
6 OK, yesterday I added a second NVidia adapter to my machine and
7 used nvidia-settings to create a new xorg.conf file. (Both new and old
8 are shown at the end) The new setup came up easily and I now have 3
9 monitors. Here's the setup:
10
11 GTX 465 port 0 -> GPU-0 + DFP-0
12 GTX 465 port 1 -> GPU-0 + DFP-2
13
14 8400GS port 0 -> GPU-1 + CRT-1
15
16 To get this working I had to enable the xinerama use flag as well
17 as enable Xinerama in xorg.conf.
18
19 Some simple tests of functionality:
20
21 1) glxgears is functional on all 3 displays but only draws actual
22 graphics on the two GTX465 monitors. It draws a black window on the
23 8400GS. It is my understanding that this is expected.
24
25 2) Both Virtualbox and VMWare VM's work fine on all 3 monitors. If the
26 VMs are running Windows then Flash, Java & Silverlight seem to work
27 fine on any display. I can play NetFlix movies and run other Windows
28 apps from within the VMs without any major problems so far.
29
30 Problems:
31
32 1) Adobe flash within Linux is not working at some websites, such as:
33
34 http://www.jigsawdoku.com/
35
36 For this page the flash game area is just gray. Flash does however
37 seem to work on other sites like Adobe's web site so possibly this is
38 more an issue with that page but I've seen a couple of others so far
39 that do the same thing.
42 2) Two KDE features that I like quite a lot are not working at all:
43
44 a) F8 - display all desktops doesn't work. With the original 2
45 monitors the feature worked fine.
46
47 b) The upper left corner 'display all apps' feature is not working.
48
49 I've been Googling around without any luck in terms of finding
50 things to try in terms of fixing this, or even discovering that maybe
51 these things simply don't work with two adapters. Maybe there are some
52 accelerations or features I need to enable that nvidia-settings don't
53 do for me? I don't know.
54
55 Note that in the older 2 monitor configuration I was using Twinview
56 which treats the two monitors as a single large monitor.
57
58 Thanks in advance for any ideas about how to get this working at its best.
59
60 Cheers,
61 Mark
64 [New 3 monitor xorg.conf]
65
66 # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
67 # nvidia-settings: version 275.09.07
68 (buildmeister@×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.com) Wed Jun 8
69 14:38:19 PDT 2011
70
71 Section "ServerLayout"
72 Identifier "Layout0"
73 Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
74 Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
75 Screen 2 "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"
76 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
77 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
78 Option "Xinerama" "1"
79 EndSection
80
81 Section "Files"
82 EndSection
83
84 Section "InputDevice"
85 # generated from data in "/etc/conf.d/gpm"
86 Identifier "Mouse0"
87 Driver "mouse"
88 Option "Protocol"
89 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
90 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
91 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
92 EndSection
93
94 Section "InputDevice"
95 # generated from default
96 Identifier "Keyboard0"
97 Driver "kbd"
98 EndSection
99
100 Section "Monitor"
101 # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
102 Identifier "Monitor1"
103 VendorName "Unknown"
104 ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster"
105 HorizSync 30.0 - 75.0
106 VertRefresh 56.0 - 61.0
107 Option "DPMS"
108 EndSection
109
110 Section "Monitor"
111 # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
112 Identifier "Monitor0"
113 VendorName "Unknown"
114 ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster"
115 HorizSync 30.0 - 75.0
116 VertRefresh 56.0 - 61.0
117 Option "DPMS"
118 EndSection
119
120 Section "Monitor"
121 # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
122 Identifier "Monitor2"
123 VendorName "Unknown"
124 ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster"
125 HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
126 VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
127 Option "DPMS"
128 EndSection
129
130 Section "Device"
131 Identifier "Device1"
132 Driver "nvidia"
133 VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
134 BoardName "GeForce GTX 465"
135 BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
136 Screen 1
137 EndSection
138
139 Section "Device"
140 Identifier "Device0"
141 Driver "nvidia"
142 VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
143 BoardName "GeForce GTX 465"
144 BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
145 Screen 0
146 EndSection
147
148 Section "Device"
149 Identifier "Device2"
150 Driver "nvidia"
151 VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
152 BoardName "GeForce 8400GS"
153 BusID "PCI:4:0:0"
154 EndSection
155
156 Section "Screen"
157 Identifier "Screen1"
158 Device "Device1"
159 Monitor "Monitor1"
160 DefaultDepth 24
161 Option "TwinView" "0"
162 Option "metamodes" "DFP-2: 1920x1080 +0+0"
163 SubSection "Display"
164 Depth 24
165 EndSubSection
166 EndSection
167
168 Section "Screen"
169 Identifier "Screen0"
170 Device "Device0"
171 Monitor "Monitor0"
172 DefaultDepth 24
173 Option "TwinView" "0"
174 Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1920x1080 +0+0"
175 SubSection "Display"
176 Depth 24
177 EndSubSection
178 EndSection
179
180 Section "Screen"
181 Identifier "Screen2"
182 Device "Device2"
183 Monitor "Monitor2"
184 DefaultDepth 24
185 Option "TwinView" "0"
186 Option "metamodes" "1280x1024 +0+0"
187 SubSection "Display"
188 Depth 24
189 EndSubSection
190 EndSection
194 [Previous 2 monitor xorg.conf]
195
196 # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
197 # nvidia-xconfig: version 270.18
198 (buildmeister@×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.com) Tue Jan 18
199 22:06:28 PST 2011
200
201 Section "ServerLayout"
202 Identifier "Layout0"
203 Screen 0 "Screen0"
204 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
205 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
206 EndSection
207
208 Section "Files"
209 EndSection
210
211 Section "InputDevice"
212 # generated from data in "/etc/conf.d/gpm"
213 Identifier "Mouse0"
214 Driver "mouse"
215 Option "Protocol"
216 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
217 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
218 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
219 EndSection
220
221 Section "InputDevice"
222 # generated from default
223 Identifier "Keyboard0"
224 Driver "kbd"
225 EndSection
226
227 Section "Monitor"
228 Identifier "Monitor0"
229 VendorName "Unknown"
230 ModelName "Unknown"
231 HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
232 VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
233 Option "DPMS"
234 EndSection
235
236 Section "Device"
237 Identifier "Device0"
238 Driver "nvidia"
239 VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
240 Option "TwinView"
241 Option "MetaModes" "1920x1080,1920x1080; 1920x1080"
242 Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
243 EndSection
244
245 Section "Screen"
246 Identifier "Screen0"