From: Michael Mauch <michael.mauch@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Creating new named colors
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:57:51
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 > OK, this is so bizarre, I hardly know how to ask it (which is why I
4 > can't find anything in Google about it, either).
5 >
6 > This is more dock stuff. I'm trying to change the colors on those
7 > dockapps that allow it. These dockapps that allow it are *supposed* to
8 > take hex color codes (#xx1x34), but they don't seem to. They do,
9 > however, take named colors (orange, MediumSlateBlue, etc) correctly, but
10 > unfortunately, these named colors do not *precisely* match my desktop.
11 >
12 > I've been using gcolor2 to pick the colors of my desktop, and I just
13 > noticed that it also saves 'named' colors.
14 >
15 > So I thought, "can't I just 'pick' a color, name it, and then I could
16 > use it like all the other named colors?"
17 >
18 > I suppose I could, if I knew where the heck such information is stored.
19
20 Perhaps /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt is it. There's a (masked) ebuild
21 x11-apps/rgb. My xorg.conf has:
22
23 RgbPath "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
24
25 Alas, /usr/lib/X11/rgb doesn't exist here. The man page of "showrgb"
26 talks about a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb file, which doesn't exist here,
27 neither.
28
29 strace -eopen showrgb
30
31 shows that it reads /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt directly. Hmm.
32
33 > Could anybody tell me (or tell me that it can't be done)?
34
35 Perhaps it's easier to fix the application that fails to take hex color
36 codes?
37
38 Regards...
39 Michael