From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: billk@×××××××××.au
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on a raspberry pi with omxplayer
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 07:07:28
1 On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 08:35:36 +0800
2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > > If your intent is to learn something by all means proceed (you will
5 > > learn, and lots of it :-). But if you are looking for something to
6 > > use that works, it's probably only fair you know up front the odds
7 > > of success are not good.
11 > Thanks for the conclusions ... I agree in part at least that its
12 > underpowered (already mildly overclocking it and using distcc) but its
13 > both a learning experience and hopefully will be useful.
14 >
15 > It will play the files I am interested in (I tested using xbmc),
16 > however I am not as interested in gaudy eye candy (which seems to be
17 > what xbmc is all about) as in something easy to use - and myth
18 > integration was woeful on the version I tried.
19 >
20 > I have (after an overnight compile) a working X on framebuffer (tested
21 > at 720p) using ratpoison - omxplayer is now compiling.
22 >
23 > I am thinking of a simple ncurses or perltk interface to spawn
24 > omxplayer with a seleced file - need nothing more complex than that.
25 > I already have a "myth job" transcoding off-air recordings to an ipad
26 > friendly 720p with proper descriptive file names so I am aiming to
27 > start out with a similar, quite basic setup.
28 >
29 > I have overcome the versioning mismatch in the various components and
30 > the licence is enabled according to a test. Did you use the licenced
31 > mpeg2 playback?
32
33 Hi Bill,
34
35 If it does what you need, then by all means fire away. If nothing else,
36 the learning experience will be worth it.
37
38 I don't have a purchased mpeg-2 license, so can't comment on that. All
39 my content is transcoded to h.264 in mp4 containers, or good old .avi
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com