From: Allistar <allistar.m@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xinerama and Xrandr
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 22:13:06
1 Dan Johansson wrote:
2
3 > I have been playing with my X-configuration this weekend and I can not
4 > really get it to work the way I like. My desktop box has two Nvidia cards
5 > installed with one monitor connected to each. On to of that I am running
6 > KDE (v 4.3.5 at the moment).
7 >
8 > # lspci | grep VGA
9 > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400
10 > GS] (rev a1)
11 > 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400
12 > GS] (rev a1)
13 >
14 > If I have "Option Xinerama on" in the ServerLayout section in xorg.conf
15 > then KDE uses both monitors (in Xinerama "mode") but I can not use any
16 > "Desktop effects" as "Compositing is not supported". Also a lot of GUI
17 > programs reports
18 > "Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"."
19 >
20 > If I set "Option Xinerama off" in xorg.conf then KDE only "runs" on one of
21 > the monitors and the "Desktop effects" works great. And the other GUI's
22 > does not
23 > give me that Xlkib error message. But now the only way to start a GUI on
24 > the second Monitor is to prefix it with DISPLAY=:0.1 or use --display
25 > :0.1.
26 >
27 > Does someone have any suggestion how I can "get the best of both worlds"?
28 > i.e. Compositing && KDE using both monitors.
29
30 You cannot do compositing or XRandR and Xinerama at the same time. Each of
31 those NVidia cards has two outputs. One approach is to only use one of the
32 cards and us NVidia's TwinView, which gets around having to use the
33 Xinerama extension. Then you can have a single big desktop spanning both
34 monitors, and the eye candy of desktop effects.