From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 : X11 (?) crashing
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:01:26
1 greets ...
2
3 As mentioned lately in another thread I moved to amd64 unstable last week.
4
5 So far OK ... but:
6
7 I see X11 crashing repeatedly but I don't have a clue what component
8 might be the reason.
9
10 Sometimes my gnome-session (2.28) works for hours, sometimes for minutes.
11
12 It crashes when starting a new program like opera, firefox, thunderbird,
13 amarok, ... something ....
14
15 I don't have a clear way to reproduce the crash and the logs don't tell
16 me anything.
17
18 -->
19
20 I rebuilt xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xf86-input-* .... opera, etc
21
22 I re-emerged @system overnight, ran revdep-rebuild, lalefixer etc (yeah,
23 I know, X11 isn't @system ... but just to do the basement right)
24
25 I use nvidia-drivers here, so I also did "eselect opengl ..." again.
26
27 I erased xorg.conf and redid it via nvidia-xconfig ... and changed it to
28 use absolute coordinates, as the xorg-server-1.7 seems to have issues
29 with "LeftOf" ...
30
31 Additional info:
32
33 I use compiz and xinerama ... two monitors ... might add some problems.
34 The two monitors are the reason for still using xorg.conf with
35 xorg-server-1.7.x (maybe there's a better solution? I don't know yet).
36
37 bugs.gentoo.org doesn't show anything describing my issues, I hesitate
38 to file a bug as long as the symptoms are that vague ...
39
40 Some clues, someone?
41
42 There were NO such crashes before moving to full ~amd64, I ran
43 xorg-server-1.6 before (mixing stable and unstable ...).
44
45 Simply going back to xorg-server-1.6 ?
46
47 Thanks a lot, Stefan.