From: Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:17:12
1 On Monday 27 March 2006 23:21, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > > Yes, that's an option to, although with more than ~768K of ram it's
4 > > > not ideal.
5 Maybe not ideal (especially on 64-bit processors) it is more than possible to
6 address a lot of memory (damn I forget the numbers, I think 64G).
7
8 > > Why is that? I thought 32-bit should have no problems addressing
9 > > 2GB?
10 Yes you can. It will be slower than native 48-bit address modes from 64-bit
11 processors, but not a large overhead at all (and the code mostly stays in
12 cache). You will need to select 3G/1G split to access the full 2GB you have
13 in your system. I have 1.5G and have to use 2G/2G to address all of mine.
14
15 > Plus, with a 64-bit kernel, it'll have access to the 64-bit specific
16 > registers. :)
17 That is a much larger benefit than most people give it credit for. Almost
18 double the registers!
21 Zac Slade
22 krakrjak@××××××××××.net
23 ICQ:1415282 YM:krakrjak AIM:ttyp99