From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 21:17:48
1 On 2/18/20 11:00 PM, rudi@×××××.net wrote:
4 > On Feb 18, 2020 22:33, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 > On 2/18/20 9:29 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
7 > >
8 > > On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
9 > >> So,
10 > >>
11 > >> After contacting several US carriers, the cover story is you can
12 > get a
13 > >> cell phone, root it with linux, and it 'should work'.
14 > Supposedly, you
15 > >> are encourage, but they
16 > >> will not offer any help. So rather than spending months,
17 > >> I'd like to 'cheat' and find a gentoo hack(er) that has
18 > >> rooted and put some form of gentoo, or embedded_gentoo
19 > >> on a cell phone.
20 > >>
21 > >> Please respond to the list, but, for whatever reason, private
23 > >>
24 > >>
25 > >> I'm just tire of my Android cell phone downloading update *every
26 > >> night*. I want/need control of the stacks
27 > >> running on the phone. I have heard this is quite popular in
28 > Europe and
29 > >> the Rf circuits have their own firmware, so it's really next to
30 > >> impossible to hack the Rf side
31 > >> of communications.....?
32 > >>
33 > >>
34 > >> Any and all responses, public or private, are most welcome.
35 > Links only
36 > >> are fine too!
37 > >>
38 > >>
39 > >> James
42 > > For gentoo, I would say "not easy at all" - the problem is custom
43 > > hardware, propriety drivers and lack of information, even in well
44 > > supported models.
45 > >
46 > > There was an app where you could install gentoo into something
47 > like a
48 > > container - worked well but the android kernel I was using at the
49 > time
50 > > didn't have some functioned enabled that fed into limiting some
51 > > operations in the container.
52 > >
53 > > Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can
54 > build ii
55 > > yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it
56 > many
57 > > times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still
58 > can).� There
59 > > are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
60 > > android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
61 > > doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
62 > > works fine)
63 > >
64 > > To be honest, if what you mentioned is your main gripe, build
65 > android
66 > > and use a third party app store like F-Droid to control that side
67 > of the
68 > > equation.
69 > >
70 > > Make sure you look into rooting, flashing a new OS and the
71 > implications
72 > > of doing so - that can be another whole level of pain depending
73 > on the
74 > > brand of your hardware, and how recent it is (less chance with
75 > new stuff
76 > > as the really smart people have not had time to trailblaze :)
77 > >
78 > > BillK
79 >
80 > Good info (thanks!)
81 > Here's what I've found so far. The purpose of this posting is to share
82 > info, so we have a gentoo on a cell phone. I am currently researching
83 > 'unlocked' samsung phones that support 5G and CDMA, so most sim cards
84 > should work. If others are interested, or know of viable github (etc)
85 > places to upload codes to, gentoo centric, I'd be all for that. I just
86 > done with carriers running my cell phones. Sure they can control the RF
87 > (hardware), but not the software running on the phone. here are a few
88 > links::
91 > https://fossbytes.com/how-to-install-a-linux-on-android-phone-without-rooting/
95 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators
98 > Here is an unlocked 5G and CDMA? I'm looking at to root with gentoo::
99 >
100 > Galaxy S20 5G 128GB (Unlocked)
101 > https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s20-5g-128gb-unlocked-sm-g981uzaaxaa/
104 > Chating with samsung right now. Explaining *why* there needs to be a
105 > samsung dev phone, supporting and working with Gentoo....�� we'll see
106 > how this goes...
107 >
108 > More comments? encouragement, folks interested?
109 >
110 > James
111 >
112 > I am very interested, although my testing capabilities would be
113 > restricted to a non-samsung Pixel 3. My�understanding is also that the
114 > Pixel and Nexus devices publish their "vendor blobs" or hardware
115 > binaries online which may help?�I've experimented with Ubuntu Touch a
116 > bit on the Nexus 5, however the device is quite slow at this point. My
117 > use case wouldn't be so much for control over updates, but more for
118 > things like Convergence (Ubuntu), Dex (Samsung) or Android Desktop.
119 > Where you dock your phone and have a linux/Android desktop with floating
120 > windows etc.
121 >
122 > �I'd like to be kept in the loop on this, and if possible I would also
123 > like to help contribute software however I'm not really skilled with
124 > hardware. I configure my kernel and that's about it.
127 Sorry, I missed this. Super busy, trying to get Samsung to 'throw this
128 effort a bone', in the form of deeply one-time discounted Samsung
129 note:11 phone, that are unlocked and support booting multiple embedded
130 (phone) OSes. Think about it (3) or more different stacks to test out
131 one against another, security issues and many other things. Samsung is
132 very very cool, but this has to be done in a way to avoid issues with
133 large carriers and governments and their clandestine activities.
134
135 Still Samsung understand the linux-source-centric developer and appears
136 to negotiating with best intentions. It'd be great to get some of the
137 gentoo embedded devs in on this, so it can move rapidly to everyone's
138 advantage.
141 https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171204006182/en/Samsung-Starts-Producing-512-Gigabyte-Universal-Flash-Storage
142
143 I'm pushing Samsung for a dev phone with usb-4, a direct fiber port (SC)
144 and a multi-boot capability, so we could have (3) or more different
145 Operating Systems on a dev-phone. Totally open and supporting 5G
146 development and testing for large, private networks.
147
148 You could have a '%G campus' and then tunnel, via the internet, to other
149 5G campuses.
150
151 Last, which is what Samsung really likes, is the myriad of cluster codes
152 that could allow multiple Gentoo-Samsung-Note:11 phones to locally
153 collect as a CLUSTER.
154
155 Shoot for the moon and let's get what I get, for the (gentoo)
156 brotherhood. Samsung seems to be very receptive
157 to a large collective of gentoo-centric hacks to push the envelop with
158 their latest hardware. Word I got was Late February.
159
160 We'll see; I have been jilted before by majors. I also have a deal
161 cooking for one of the largest manufacturers of 5G chipset. The enormous
162 capabilities of 5G, needs hackers like us to dream, explore, ask for
163 help and publish in the public domain, what we try, where we are stuck
164 and when/who is willing to help. US feds actually cannot find people
165 like us, so that are stuck FOLLOWING what we dream up and try to build.
166
167 Just think, 3 of us, could rid on the back of one of DALEs tractors,
168 running a gentoo cell phone cluster, so
169 DALE, whilst driving, can have several screens and linux gentoo linux
170 cluster collecting data, providing (AI) advice to DALE in real time
171 about how to farm and correct drive. All very fuel efficient. Eventually
172 an Electric tractor make by a modifies TESLA cybertruck hack.
175 SOON, my brothers, SOON!
176
177 be blessed,
178 James