From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strange boot problem - any ideas?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:53:48
1 Hi,
2
3 I have to power down one of my machines each day.
4 Booting it the other day fails from time to time.
5 On this (and all my machines) /usr is on an ext4 file system by its
6 own. It looks as if mounting /usr fails sometimes (silently).
7 The first unusual message is that it cannot find the file
8 /usr/sbin/acpid . After that, most other actions fail as well.
9
10 Once the machine has failed to boot it will fail every time afterwards
11 unless I do the following:
12 I boot by a rescue CD, change root and re-emerge sys-power/acpid (this
13 package contains /usr/sbin/acpid).
14 This single action has helped without any problem each time I had to
15 try it.
16
17 Of course, I've done many checks on the drive hosting the /usr
18 partition - no errors at all (the drive is only a few months old and a
19 good one (enterprise edition)).
20
21 So, I suspect openrc. Might it be that this is a timing problem and
22 openrc doesn't check if the partition is mounted? Booting has worked
23 just flawlessly on that machine for more than a year. It looks as if a
24 recent version of openrc (currently 0.6.8) has generated this problem.
25
26 Thanks for any hint,
27 Helmut.