From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Looong delays
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:23:16
1 Hi
2
3 This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
4 Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
5 access, the PC slows down to a halt? I remember some issue between Firefox
6 and the kernel causing long pauses, but I've had several different kernel
7 versions running.
8
9 I also use the ntfs-3g driver for write access to a doze partition, but
10 although the degradation in performance more severe with the ntfs-3g driver,
11 access to the native (ext3) partition also drags the system down for a
12 while.
13
14 I checked obvious things like whether or not I enable SMP in the kernel. I
15 tried changing the kernel pre-emption from low latency desktop to desktop,
16 but the problem persist. The application that is mostly involved when I get
17 these long delays is FireFox, VMWare and emerge (emerge --sync). Everything
18 is compiled 64bit but I have the 32bit emulation libs.
19
20 Can anyone point me into some direction?
21
22 Regards
23 Dirk