From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving my instalation to new hard drive
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:11:57
1 Matthew R. Lee wrote:
2 > Question 1: Should I keep the swap partition the same size or increase it?
3
4 If you are increasing the amount of RAM, and you currently do fine on
5 512 MB of swap, you should be OK. That said, if you are getting a ton
6 more space, what is 1 GB to dedicate to swap just in case?
7
8 > Question 2: (This is the main one!) The MBR? As the new disk is a direct
9 > replacement for the old one, with the same partitions etc, do I need to
10 > change anything in my grub.conf? or should it just work without
11 > modification?
12
13 If you use cp you will need to run grub-install, or run setup from
14 within grub, again. Make sure you use the correct flags on cp to
15 maintain permissions/owners/other attributes on the files that you are
16 copying. Another option that may be simpler and will definitely be
17 faster is using dd to copy. You will probably need to use
18 grub-install/setup if you do dd as well, unless you dd if=/dev/sda
19 of=/dev/sdb (or am I wrong about this?)
22 Randy Barlow
23 http://electronsweatshop.com
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list