From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:22:39
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 22:19 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > Now I'm really really sure there will be no problem. What I wrote above
6 > about the gemotry is true I think, but all modern drives seem to have
7 > 255 heads and 63 sectors per track, so they will be compatible.
8 >
9 > Wonko
13 The only problem I see with dd is that it won't do any error checking,
14 afaik. Will you have the old drive in as #2 later to double check?
15
16 The other option is clonezilla. It will be a bit more work for you, but
17 you can script it to clone the partitions / drives / copy boot loaders
18 and so on. Then the remote assistant can just boot it (from usb key
19 even) and press go!
23 I bought some used paint. It was in the shape of a house.
24 -- Steven Wright