From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] file system problems - what is proper maintanence?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:57:15
1 On 6/25/06, Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > I seem to have file system problems on my external
4 > > 1394 hard drives. I do not know if this is due to a recent move
5 > > to 2.6.17-rt1, or bad maintenance on my part, or just bad luck.
6 >
7 > Hopefully just bad luck (a failing drive, or a power hickup), but a
8 > kernel bug can't be ruled out. As for bad maintenance... with any
9 > data that you value, a regular disk inspection is needed: a maximum
10 > mount count of something like 15 or an interval of two weeks.
11
12 OK, well these drives were never being tested. I've not been clear how
13 to best do that on an external drive that is removable like 1394. I've
14 set the test interval to 1 day for now. We'll see if it pops anything
15 up.
16
17 As for the data, like everyone, I value it, but it's primarily my CD
18 collection which has been ripped for easy playing. My thought was that
19 since the disk isn't written very often (when I get a new CD) and
20 things are mostly read-only, there shouldn't be many problems, but
21 that doesn't save me from a disk going bad.
22
23 Is it the case that the journal is only used to repair the disk when
24 fsck is run? I don't understand when ext3 would use that.
25
26 Also, if these drives are turned off at night, then on again the next
27 day, and mounted by the user, then where does fsck info from the daily
28 check go? dmesg???
31 > > This evening, for no good reason since I don't know what I am
32 > > doing, I decided to run fsck and let it look around and fix
33 > > things if it wanted to. I wouldn't know how to do any better.
34 >
35 > Use tune2fs to set the checking interval to 1 week. Or better yet,
36 > to 1 day for now, to keep inspecting the disk everyday for a while.
37 > Use 'tunefs -l ...' to see the current values.
38
39 Yes, 1 day for now on all partions of both 1394 drives.
42 > > At the end of this I wondered if there is really any value to a
43 > > journaled file system? Did it protect me? I cannot tell.
44 >
45 > It won't protect you when the disk is going bad, nor when the kernel
46 > has bugs. It only protects you from losing data during a sudden
47 > power loss.
48 >
49 > Benno
50