From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:54:22
1 On 02/27/2010 07:21 AM, BRM wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 >
4 >> From: Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>
5 >>> On 02/27/2010 04:15 AM, BRM wrote:
6 >>>>> From: Neil BothwickTo:
7 >>>>> (PST), BRM wrote:
8 >>>>>> Aside from that, I'm not sure I have ever really run "emerge
9 >>>>>> --depclean", but I also rarely uninstall anything, but don't
10 >>>>>> install things left or right to try out either, so typically
11 >>>>>> upgrades are all I need to do.
12 >>>>> You should still run --depclean as dependencies change and you
13 >>>>> could still have plenty of no longer needed ones installed.
14 >>>> Okay - so I ran "emerge --depclean -a" and got the below. I tried
15 >>>> running "emerge world -vuDNa" as specified, but that didn't resolve
16 >>>> it either.
17 >>>> I tried looking in the world file (/var/lib/portage/world) but didn't
18 >>>> find any entries that felt safe to remove.
19 >>> "Safe" as to what? If something is in the world file that you didn't
20 >> explicitly request, then it doesn't belong there. For example, if you have
21 >> "x11-libs/qt-gui" in world, you should delete it. The world file should not
22 >> contain dependencies, it should only contain the stuff you emerged directly.
23 >
24 > Okay...that kind of makes more sense now.
25 > From what I've read in the past, modifying 'world' would be a big no-no, and very risky - so I never touched it - also why I never really ran 'emerge --depclean', which is reporting some 400 packages to remove now that I've got that cleaned up.
26
27 emerge -C does the same. It's just that I find it easier to edit the
28 world file directly (it's just a text file, after all, no magic in
29 there) if I want to clean up stuff. If you don't want to delete
30 something from world by hand, simply copy&pasting the line you want
31 removed to "emerge -C <pasted line>" will have the same result.
32
33 Of course there might be special cases I simply don't know about; so
34 simply emerge -C instead of removing lines from world if you want to
35 play it safe.