From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qemu-kvm
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:40:10
1 On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 19:04:51 +0000
2 jdm@××××××××××××.uk wrote:
3
4 > No unfortunately
5 > ------Original Message------
6 > From: Matthew Finkel
7 > To: Gentoo
8 > ReplyTo: Gentoo
9 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qemu-kvm
10 > Sent: 16 Jul 2011 17:51
11 >
12 > On 07/15/11 20:24, john wrote:
13 > > I am running a gentoo amd64 qemu-kvm virtual image on my gentoo
14 > > amd64 box.
15 > >
16 > > Everything is running well. Machine boots up and all looks to be ok.
17 > >
18 > > When I startx the screen goes purple (on guest) and locks up. The
19 > > only error message I get is on host.
20 > >
21 > > KVM internal error. Suberror: 1 emulation failure
22 > >
23 > > I would guess this is a graphics issue but not entirely sure.
24 > >
25 > > I have tried -vga cirrus, std, vmware but all have the same effect.
26 > >
27 > > I have emerged these in guest as xorg-drivers.
28 > >
29 > > Any suggestions!
30 >
31 > Are there any entries in /var/log/messages or /var/log/X.0.log on the
32 > guest related to the lock up?
36 > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2
37
38 Lost with this one. Installed Mageia and Mint (thnx to Linux Format).
39 Both worked fine.
40 Then tried calculate and ok. No messgaes in log other than emulation
41 failure suberror :1 in terminal.
42
43 Reinstalled gentoo with X and all worked ok. Must have been a bad image!
44
45 The only thing I did different was use ext3 instead of reiserfs and
46 change -march from k8 to native. Although on bad guest remerged all
47 packages with native and still did not work.
48
49 Happy now gentoo kvm is working. It's blinding quick.
50
51 Thanks for suggestion of using system rescue.
55 John D Maunder