From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:58:36
1 Am 30.08.2016 um 22:46 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Grant Edwards
3 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> There's nothing in Gentoo that guarantees everybody has ext2 support
5 >> in their kernels. That said, I agree that ext2 (or perhaps ext3 with
6 >> journalling disabled -- I've always been a bit fuzzy on whether that's
7 >> exactly the same thing or not)
8 > Sorry, I just wanted to chime in on one thing. While a journal
9 > probably will cause more flash wear, it also potentially adds data
10 > integrity.
11 >
12 > Now consider that the original message that started this whole thread
13 > was important files being stored on flash and being corrupted.
14 > Getting rid of the journal might not be the best move.
15 >
16 > Unless you have a LOT of writes to flash you're not going to wear it
17 > out, especially with wear-leveling algorithms.
18 >
19 > Oh, and finally, if it matters that much, have a backup...
22 the journal does not add any data integrity benefits at all. It just
23 makes it more likely that the fs is in a sane state if there is a crash.
24 Likely. Not a guarantee. Your data? No one cares.
25
26 If you want an fs that cares about your data: zfs.