From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of unwanted languages (Was: Re: gimp help not available, even with USE doc)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 15:43:16
1 On Thursday, 30 April 2020 16:15:54 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
3 > > Greetings,
4 > >
5 > > On Thursday, 2020-04-30 07:31:51 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > >> ...
7 > >> [ebuild R ] app-doc/gimp-help-2.8.2:2::gentoo 0 KiB
8 > >
9 > > Thanks for pointing me to a package I hadn't yet installed, even though
10 > > I have installed "media-gfx/gimp" (but use it rarely). But installation
11 > > took surprisingly long because it included tons of messages in unneeded
12 > > laguages. I have L10N="en-GB" in my "make.conf" file, but this only
13 > > seems to request additional languages.
14 > >
15 > > Is there a way to exclude megabytes of message texts or manual pages in
16 > > languages I don't understand anyway from being installed, something like
17 > > "L10N="-* en-GB"? And is there a way to again remove unnecessary lang-
18 > > uages after they have been installed?
19 > >
20 > > Under Ubuntu I used to use a package named "localepurge" which did both.
21 > >
22 > > Sincerely,
23 > >
24 > > Rainer
25 >
26 > These settings are from AGES ago. I think they are still in use tho.
29 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/make.conf | grep lang
30 > LANG="en_US"
31 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/make.conf | grep L10N
32 > L10N="en en-US"
33 > root@fireball / #
36 > You would replace US with GB of course. Oh, I put a link from
37 > /etc/make.conf to the real one. I'm used to the old location. :/
38 >
39 > That help?
40 >
41 > Dale
42 >
43 > :-) :-)
44
45 Unless this page is out of date L10N USE expansion variable can be set either
46 at make.conf, or on a per package basis:
47
48 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Localization/Guide#L10N
49
50 Meanwhile, I think the equivalent to debian's localepurge corresponds to a
51 dual step process in Gentoo. First update your locale as per above page, then
52 run 'env-update && source /etc/profile', followed by 'localegen'. Then if you
53 have also setup additional localisations in L10N, you need to run emerge with
54 option --newuse, or --changeduse to take account per package or global changes
55 in the L10N USE settings.