From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] about boot with framebuffer
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 21:41:39
1 I've been booting with a framebuffer for some time. So long that I
2 fear my kernel line may be out of date.
3
4 At any rate my settings are apparently causing the resolution setting
5 to be ignored and I'm sometimes asked for a selection and sometimes it
6 just boots with the huge 80x25 standard. Sometimes it even obeys the
7 settings.
8
9 I have these set in the kernel:
10 CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT=y
11 CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
12 CONFIG_MTRR=y
13
14 The grub.conf lines I've used for something like 100 yrs, looks like
15 this:
16
17 /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 vga=0x31b video=vesfb:mtrr:3,ywrap
18
19 I don't recall anymore where I got all of that but I think the only
20 things I've changed are the 0x31b to some other hexidecimal setting
21 and the digit following mtrr. Seems like it was once a 2.
22
23 I got the 0x31b from the vga chart in kernel sources. I'm pretty sure
24 it was once in a file named vga.txt
25
26 I changed the 0x31b according to the capabilities of the graphics card
27 a few times.
28
29 I'm looking for vga.txt right now in current sources but I don't think
30 its there anymore.
31
32 Ahh my search:
33 find /usr/src/linux/ -type f -exec grep -l 0x31b {} \;
34
35 turned up only *.c *.S and one *.sa files... no vga.txt
36 [
37 /usr/src/linux/fs/hfsplus/tables.c
38 /usr/src/linux/arch/m68k/ifpsp060/fpsp.sa
39 /usr/src/linux/sound/drivers/opl4/opl4_synth.c
40 /usr/src/linux/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/s5h1411.c
41 /usr/src/linux/.tmp_kallsyms1.S
42 /usr/src/linux/.tmp_kallsyms2.S
43 /usr/src/linux/.tmp_kallsyms3.S
44 /usr/src/linux/crypto/khazad.c
45 /usr/src/linux/crypto/tgr192.c
46 /usr/src/linux/crypto/wp512.c
47 ]
48
49 To me, the old standby of vga5 is still to large and the smaller ones
50 in that series just look really sqatty and terrible.
51
52 Is my setup still functional or outdated now? I'd like to get
53 resolution of at least 1024x768 but higher is even better.
54
55 Any suggestions for a better setup?