From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15 = spectre_v2 fixed
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:50:55
1 On 2018-01-29 20:11, Adam Carter wrote:
2
3 > Comparing the contents of /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2
4 >
5 > With gcc 7.2 + kernel 4.14.15;
6 > Intel system shows; Vulnerable: Minimal generic ASM retpoline
7 > AMD system shows: Vulnerable: Minimal AMD ASM retpoline
8 >
9 > With gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15.0;
10 > Intel system shows; Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
11 > AMD system shows' Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline
12
13 Is there a simple way, with the upstream (kernel.org) sources, to force
14 a compiler different from the system default? If there is, it's not in the
15 README, and a simple grep over the Makefiles also doesn't enlighten.
16
17 I am not ready to activate a keyworded gcc for general use.
20 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
21 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
22 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.