From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Should we NEVER do an ``emerge -u world''?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:19:46
1 On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:44:40 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > > If you don't understand exactly what the -5 option in etc-update will
4 > > do, don't use it. If you do understand, you probably won't use it
5 > > anyway.
6 >
7 > Uhm, I've got to disagree. I use -5 quite often. I have a look at
8 > the list of files and if I *KNOW* that I did not touch those files,
9 > I'm very happy "-5'ing" etc-update, so to say.
10 >
11 > So, yes, if you do understand, you probably will use it.
12
13 Not in the way that causes the problems, of -5ing everything. When i used
14 etc-update, I wuld go through the list, accepting some changes and
15 rejecting others, then -5 the remainder, which were often example configs.
16
17 That's not the same as -5ing everything, which is what I was referring to
18 and the easy way to toast /etc/fstab.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I
25 can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."