From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portknock before Postfix delivery?
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:47:55
1 On 07/03/2011 09:31 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > I'm just wondering...
3 >
4 > I'm implementing an email gateway using postfix. The gateway lives as
5 > a VM in my ISP, and it will deliver 'accepted' emails to the company's
6 > email server which lives in the DMZ. The email server's port is
7 > shifted to a non-25 external port number.
8 >
9 > So far so good. However, a portscanner might still be able to detect
10 > which port is open and attempt deliveries there.
11 >
12 > So, the question: Is it possible to configure the system in some way
13 > so that Postfix will first perform a portknocking before attempting
14 > delivery to the internal mail server?
15 >
16 > If that is not possible, what solution would you recommend to 'harden'
17 > the non-25 mail port?
18
19 What defines an "accepted" email? If they will all be coming from one or
20 more pre-defined hosts, just add them to mynetworks:
21
22 mynetworks = <whoever is allowed to send mail to you>
23 smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject
24
25 If they could be coming from anywhere, you can either configure SASL
26 (easier) or certificate-based authentication (harder). I suppose you
27 could set up a VPN that lands them within $mynetworks, too.