From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Need help with samba (Possibly OT)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:42:14
1 My personal workstation is a dual-boot setup with Gentoo and Windows XP.
2 A long time ago, I set up Samba on another computer on my network to
3 provide extra hard drive space to our Windows installations. They used
4 to work, but we haven't used them in some time. I tried to use it today
5 and it didn't work. When I try to connect to the samba share from my
6 linux install, I get this:
7
8 michael@camille ~ $ smbclient //carter//home
9 Enter michael's password:
10 Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.6]
11 tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
12 michael@camille ~ $ smbclient //carter//michael
13 Enter michael's password:
14 Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.6]
15 tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
16
17 (The host name is carter, and I didn't understand what the second part
18 should be.)
19 Also, I didn't know if "michael's password" meant my password on my
20 local box, my password on the remote box, or some password I set up for
21 Samba forever ago...
22
23 Here's my /etc/samba/smb.conf file:
24
25 carter samba # cat smb.conf
26 [global]
27 workgroup = MYGROUP
28 server string = Samba Server %v
29 printcap name = cups
30 load printers = yes
31 printing = cups
32 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
33 max log size = 50
34 hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
35 map to guest = bad user
36 security = user
37 encrypt passwords = yes
38 socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
39 dns proxy = no
40
41 [homes]
42 comment = Home Directories
43 browseable = no
44 writable = yes
45 valid users = michael amy
46 path = /samba
47
48 [printers]
49 comment = All Printers
50 path = /var/spool/samba
51 browseable = no
52 guest ok = no
53 writable = no
54 printable = yes
55
56 [print$]
57 path = /var/lib/samba/printers
58 browseable = yes
59 read only = yes
60 write list = @adm root
61 guest ok = yes
62
63 [tmp]
64 comment = Temporary file space
65 path = /samba
66 read only = no
67 public = yes
68 valid users = michael amy
69
70 I'm sure I've screwed something up somewhere, I'm just not sure what it
71 is.